• The place to find the right expertise and make better decisions
  • Find the right expertise
Jason S.
Jason S.
North Bondi, NSW

Hi. If i rent out a room in my principal place of residence that i live in do i pay land tax?

3 years ago


Hi Jason,
Your principal residence is exempt from land tax. If You can establish that (all utilities at the address are in your name) then there should be no land tax.

Hi Jason

As you may be aware principal place of residence is exempt from land tax but If you let out part of your principal place of residence to another person and receive income from this, you may still be able to claim a concession. i.e. you definitely wont be paying full land tax value.

You would need to provide Office Of State Revenue (NSW) details of the property e.g. total area, area of the room rented out, etc and they will work out the amounts.


Suresh Rajani

Your Answer

If you wish to include a video or audio response, you can do this by including links to Youtube, Vimeo or SoundCloud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxxxx OR https://vimeo.com/xxxxxxxxx)

<% error.message %>