• The place to find the right expertise and make better decisions
  • Find the right expertise
Matthew B.
Matthew B.
Lane Cove, NSW


My family has just arrived in Australia after I was transferred from England, the same employer.

We are selling our home in London but want to know is there a minimum time we have to be in Australia before we can buy a property and get a home loan? Also what is the minimum deposit we would need?

4 years ago


Good morning Matthew,
That's not my area, but welcome Down Under! :-)



Thanks Graham, we're very excited to be here

Hi Matthew

Welcome Down Under! :-)

You will need to obtain permanent residency in Australia before you can purchase a property to live in. I am also assuming that you are not on probation with your employer?

As for the deposit. If you can contribute 20% of the purchase price + government & legal fees then this will avoid you paying Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI), however the minimum deposit required is 5%. Note that when borrowing 95% of the property price that the LMI premium can be a hefty fee to pay. Also note that the LMI premium is only paid once.

Please feel free to contact me on 0414 727 308 if you would like further clarification.

Good luck!


Sam Zammit
South West Lending Solutions
P: 1800 824 325
M: 0414 727 308
E: sam@southwestlendingsolutions.com.au


Thanks Sam, that is very helpful. We would like to chat so I will call in the next couple of days.

No problems Matthew. Will be more than happy to help out.


Hi Matthew
Do you still need assistance with your inquiry?


Your Answer

If you wish to include a video or audio response, you can do this by including links to Youtube, Vimeo or SoundCloud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxxxx OR https://vimeo.com/xxxxxxxxx)

<% error.message %>