• The place to find the right expertise and make better decisions
  • Find the right expertise
Paul H.
Paul H.
Burnside, QLD

Hi there,
There is no category listed for my query regarding tertiary education so I’m just putting it out there. Long story short, My wife is doing a diploma in nursing, the company she signed up with went down the gurgler, after a six week period in limbo another company took over at the same place under a new banner with the same muppets running the show. Since such time it has gone from pretty ordinary to really bad. What type of solicitor deals with education issues?

4 years ago


Hi Paul

There are a limited number of lawyers on the platform at present however here are some links to lawyers you might like to make contact with

• Patrick Earl in Stafford Qld - https://www.simplyaskit.com.au/profile/1519/patrick-earl
• LegalVision – online legal service - https://www.simplyaskit.com.au/profile/1240/legalvision
• Coutts Solicitors in NSW - https://www.simplyaskit.com.au/profile/1286/coutts-solicitors-conveyancers

Given your question it sure sounds like your wife has the right to be asking the company some questions

Best wishes


You don't need an education-specific lawyer. This is a contractual situation. However, It sounds like they went into administration/liquidation and then started up again. If you are owed money you should have received a notice from the liquidator about a creditors meeting. So you probably won't be able to get that money back at all. It is a waste of time and money.

Did you guys pay for the diploma or was it funded through FEE Help? Maybe you can complain about the Fee Help http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/fee-help and say they never delivered the course and you don't want to be charged.

I would just pull out. If you have paid new money to the new place then I would suggest asking for a refund an then going to your local court and apply for a "liquidated damages claim" in the small claims division. You can do this yourself with the assistance fo the Clerk or get a lawyer to draft one probably cost you around $300 - $400. This is capped by the way so it will not be thousands.

Hope that helped ;)


Your Answer

If you wish to include a video or audio response, you can do this by including links to Youtube, Vimeo or SoundCloud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxxxx OR https://vimeo.com/xxxxxxxxx)

<% error.message %>